I once wore a makeshift tee to My Last Bite’s party that read, “Broke is the New Black” but now I am coining, “Thursday is the New Friday.” What has come of the world? Commoners, like us, are now partying like rock stars during the week?! Sadly, with the unemployment rate at over 9% nationally and over 12% in California, there are quite a few unemployed folks out and about spending their money on booze. Did you know that during a recession, alcohol is one of only a few goods that experiences a rise in sales?! And with “Happy hour being the new dinner,” (Carina’s line) you just can’t resist shaking your chonies and forgetting about the present economic climate. When in Rome…
Here’s a few things that the UG Girls will be up to this Thursday:
1. Checker’s happy hour: Because it’s the “best happy hour you didn’t know about” and because the food always exceeds our expectations, we continue to frequent it almost weekly. It’s in our favorite neighborhood, downtown, and at $4 a plate and $4 for drinks, it’s really a deal you can’t resist. The only drawback is that service is a bit slow. But think about it: The food and drinks are far beyond your expectations, which logically, will take longer and you’re in a classy spot. Go in and entertain yourself with friends, order a drink, and have fun. If you’re bothered by the amount of time it takes to get your food and drink, then maybe you should consider your company. Chances are, if you’re bored, that’s probably why. Below are this week’s menu themes. We’ll be there early so join our digital entourage and join us out for a drink. Let’s celebrate my (Josie) newly unemployed status – well, in two weeks. Unemployed that is, by choice!
Below is the menu:
Cocktails will feature VOX VODKA (www.voxvodka.com/). Meticulously crafted in The Netherlands from the finest wheat grain selected for its subtle undertones, VOX is distilled five times to ensure ultimate smoothness, and there is an undeniable cleanness to the finish.
This week’s featured cocktails will be:
- LIMONCELLO BRAMBLE – A martini of Vox Vodka, Limoncello, blackberry puree, and fresh lemon juice. From the mind of our own bartender, Violet!
- RED CHECKER – Vox Vodka, St Germain elderflower liqueur, muddled raspberries, and lemon juice, with a hint of orange bitters
- MOSCOW MULE – Vox Vodka, fresh lime juice, fresh ginger juice, and ginger beer. “Moscow” for the vodka; “Mule” for the kick of ginger!
- VESPER MARTINI – James Bond’s change-of-pace: Tanqueray Gin, Vox Vodka, Golden Lillet, and a twist of lemon. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesper_cocktail)
Of course, no FOUR event would be complete without the palate-pleasing creations of Chef Todd Allison – and this week is no exception! This week’s featured dishes are:
- VICHYSSOISE with house-made taro chips
- OLIVE OIL POACHED AHI, with cannelloni bean and basil pesto ragout, and red onion pickles
- SHORTRIB GRILLED CHEESE with sautéed onion, baby arugula, and a stone-ground mustard sauce
- CONFIT OF ARTICHOKE HEARTS, with lemon zest and shaved mizithra cheese
2. Drago Centro happy hour: At some point in the night, I am having cocktails with a friend at Drago. We can stop in anytime because the Drago happy hour menu lasts ALL day! The staff goes out of their way to be accommodating and if there at the right hour, you can catch many downtown singles in the bar area.
3. Surly Goat: Carina has it in her mind that along with being Yelp Elite she also wants to be a Citysearch Dictator. Therefore she will be hitting up the first CitysearchLA event at L.A.’s newest premier beer bar.
4. Roller Derby at the Echoplex: I may or may not attend the roller derby shindig but you’ll surely see Carina there because she loves it; she pleads me to go every month. I’m not a good skater so I’m a little intimidated by the rough gals who can not only kick the crap out of me, but will be drinking as well. Below are specifics. And if you’re lucky, you may just catch a couple UG girls there.
DOWN AND DERBY ROLLER SKATING ROLLER DISCO AT THE ECHOPLEX THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25TH
Featuring, SKATING DRINKING, DANCING
DONT FORGET TO RSVP FOR REDUCED ADMISSION!!
Disco Tunes provided by: THEE MIKE B & MORSE CODE
21+ (big kids only)
$5 with RSVP, $10 at the door
To RSVP, please visit www.downandderby.org.
$5 skate rental, or bring your own.
The Echoplex is located at 1154 Glendale Blvd in Los Angeles, California (main entrance is through the alley).
DRESS CODE: BE CREATIVE
GUYS: knee high tube socks, neon tanktops, headbands, wristbands, fros and flat tops
GIRLS: thighs of steel on two inch wheels with short shorts to seal the deal